Reckoned as a country which celebrates its cultural heritage at its fullest, India is also widely recognized around the world for Kumbh Mela. It is one of the largest peaceful gatherings of pilgrims on Earth. It is said that a dip in the Holy waters of Sangam absolves sins and free people from the cycles of rebirth. Legends say, while in the war of gods and demons the precious water of Amrit Kalash fell upon places – Prayagraj, Haridwar, Ujjain, and Nashik. The Mela is held every three years and returns to each of these cities in India after 12 years.
This year, the city of Prayagraj (previously known as Allahabad) will host it’s first-ever Ardh Kumbh Mela. The festivities will start from January 15, 2019, and will be celebrated until March 4, 2019. For people who do not know about this rich heritage culture of India, let us dive into more detail and find out the incredible experience of Kumbh Mela.
Incredible 2019 Kumbh Mela
- The Shahi Snan or the first Royal Bath of the 2019 Ardh Kumbh Mela will take place on the day of Makar Sankranti. The second Shahi Snan will take place during January 21 on the day of Paush Poornima. The final and the last Shahi Snan will be observed on March 4, on the day of Maha Shivratri.
- Prayagraj Kumbh Mela will start on 15th January, when according to astrology the planet Jupiter is in Aries and Sun and Moon, and later in Capricorn during the Hindu month of Magha.
- Hindus believe that, if taken bath in these rivers during the auspicious dates of Kumbh Mela, all of their sins will be washed off and they will be freed from the cycles of rebirth. More than 15 crore people are expected to visit the 2019 Ardh Kumbh Mela.
- Prayagraj is well connected by road, train, and air. Many of the visitors who will be visiting, would like to stay in Varanasi. Varanasi has a huge cultural history and welcomes visitors all around the year, from all over the world. Known for its Ghats and Banarasi Sarees, Varanasi is a delight for all fashion enthusiasts.
- Narendra Modi Government is planning to make use of inland waterways to help commute tourists from Varanasi to Allahabad. The government might also use airboat service between Varanasi and Prayagraj to transport tourists to the Mela.
- If you are planning to arrive and Stay in Varanasi, you can look out of these options to travel to the Kumbh Mela. Not only the Kumbh, but you can also experience the true beauty of Varanasi and its rich heritage of Banarasi Sarees. And if you are a true fashion enthusiast, Jagdish Das & Company, JDS Varanasi is a must visit for everyone to experience the intricate weaves of India.